Andes Experience - Hike to Machu Picchu
This tour is based in Cusco and the surrounding valleys, you will spend time exploring the ancient city of Cusco with its inca and colonial buildings, then you will visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas, including fascinating archaeological complexes and small Andean towns. This beautiful area will also be enjoyed on a horseback ride and on foot when you take the classic Inca trail until you reach the lost citadel of Machu Picchu.
- Learn about the fascinating history of the Inca civilization.
- Join the colourful festivities of Cusco city happening along the year.
- Explore the beautiful Sacred Valley of the Incas, its Inca temples and colourful Andean communities.
- Ride through a section of this fertile valley on Peruvian Paso horses.
- Hike the beautiful royal Inca trail with our guide recounting stories of the amazing Inca civilization.
- See the first rays of light over the magical citadel of Macchu Picchu hidden away in the cloud forest of the Andes.
- Follow our expert guide through time as he explains theories about the thechniques used to build such magnificent structures and recounts myths and legends of the golden Inca civilization.
- Choose a stay at Inkaterra Machu Picchu hotel set in an incredible, beautiful natural habitat.
- Take a tour of Lima - Through the charming colonial centre which was home to the Spanish viceroys.
Departures:Daily departures year round, except in FebruaryDestinations:Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu PicchuReservation code:AE8
- Arrival in Cusco. Transfer to hotel. Afternoon walking tour of Cusco with your guide.
- Morning free. Afternoon City Tour of Cusco. Overnight Cusco.
- Private excursion to Chinchero, Maras and Moray. Buffet lunch at local restaurant. In the afternoon a short ride on Peruvian Paso Horses. Overnight Urubamba
- Full day private excursion to the Sacred Valley, visit Pisac market, ruins and Ollantaytambo. Overnight Urubamba – Sacred Valley
- Train to KM 104, start of the trailhead for the Inca Trail. Meet with your guide and day-hike to Machupicchu Overnight Machupicchu
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu. Afternoon return to Cusco Overnight Cusco
- Free day in Cusco to explore this Unesco World Heritage city on your own and time for shopping or choose for optional active tours like mountain biking, rafting or horse riding. Overnight Cusco.
- Pick up from your hotel to transfer you to the airport for your flight to Lima. Option in Lima: Transfer into town. Afternoon Lima city tour or cooking classes. Evening transfer back to the airport
Day 1 Arrival in Cusco. Afternoon private walking tour
This morning you will fly from Lima to Cusco. On arrival to Cusco, our representative will meet you at the airport and take you to your hotel. The rest of the morning is free to relax and adjust to the altitude. In the afternoon you will have a walking tour of Cusco city. You will visit Nazarenas square, the artisans district of San Blas and its colonial church, on the way back to the main square, a visit to the famous 12 angle stone and of course the main square of Cusco. You will continue to the market of San Pedro, a vibrant, colourful market to give you an inside look at the local culture of Peru. After this visit, you will return to your hotel. The rest of the afternoon is free.
Overnight in Cusco
No meals included.
Day 2 Morning Cusco nearby ruins tour.
This morning your guide will meet you at your hotel for a tour of the nearby ruins and some colonial and inca buildings in the city. You will visit the impressive Qoricancha temple, then you will continue with a short walk through the streets of Cusco visiting the Cathedral in the main square. Then you will drive up to the megalithic site of Sacsayhuaman and then you will visit Qenko, an interesting inca shrine.After visiting this place, you will be taken back to your hotel. The rest of the afternoon is free for some explorations on your own. This is a good time to to buy souvenirs since Cusco offers some fine Alpaca wool garment, silver jewelry and other fine handicrafts.
Overmight in Cusco
Day 3 Chinchero, Maras, Moray - Afternoon horse back ride.
Today we start early. First you will go to Chinchero town, located half of the way between Cusco and Urubamba (3760 m) which offers spectacular views of the surrounding mountains. You will continue your visit heading to Maras - a little adobe town that holds influences of the spanish style of construction, here you will find the incredible salt mine of Maras, where you will see the process of extraction of salt, then you will continue to Moray - the magnificent agricultural terraces, thought to have been an Incan laboratory in order to investigate and acclimatize some plants to different climate conditions. You will continue your way to your restaurant for lunch. In the afternoon you will take a Peruvian Paso horse back ride through a section of the Sacred Valley, along the Urubamba river and through the vast farming areas and countryside trails. After the ride you will be transferred to your hotel in the Sacred Valley.
Overnight in the Sacred Valley
Breakfast and Lunch included
Day 4: Sacred Valley – Pisac village market and the ruins of Ollantaytambo
Today you will start your day excursion to the Sacred Valley of the Incas visiting the colourful handicraft market of Pisac, here you can enjoy a small typical Andean market which offers good opportunities to buy local handicraft. You will continue to Urubamba where a buffet lunch is served in a local restaurant. After lunch you will continue to Ollantaytambo where you will visit the Archaeological site which is an attractive little town located at the western end of the Sacred Valley. The town has been built on top of original Inca foundations and is the best surviving example of Inca town planning. It is located at the foot of amazing Inca ruins, which protected the strategic entrance to the lower Urubamba Valley. The religious area is at the top of a steep terracing which helped to provide excellent defense against the tribes from the jungle. At the end of your tour you will return to your hotel in the Sacred Valley.
Overnight in the Sacred Valley
Breakfast and lunch included
Day 5 Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
Today you will start your day early with a transfer to the train station of Ollantaytambo where you will take the train to the starting point of the trail. You will disembark at Km 104 to begin your hike through the recently discovered ancient Inca trail to Machu Picchu. You will cross a bridge over the Urubamba river to start climbing all the way up through very abundant vegetation, home for hundreds of bird and orchid species. We will leave the cloud forest at Wiñaywayna which is a beautiful ceremonial site divided into two sectors build with finely-carved stones fitted together with great precision. Then you will continue your hike to the Sun Gate where you will get breathtaking views of Machu Picchu. Here, the final stretch of the royal Inca trail will take you to the citadel, hidden in the dense vegetation for over four centuries and now uncovered for your appreciation. From the Sanctuary you will take the bus to Aguas Calientes town where you will spend the night in your hotel.
Overnight in Aguas Calientes town.
Breakfast and box lunch included
Day 6: Guided tour of Machu Picchu
Today you will start early, after breakfast with your guide you will board the bus up to the citadel of Machu Picchu on time to enjoy the first rays of light over the citadel. Your guide will slowly show you around the main areas explaining theories about how this place was built and recounting myths and legends passed down over the centuries. After your tour, you will have plenty of time to look around or do some of the other treks which are available in the surrounding mountains. By noon it will be time for lunch in town.
At a convenient time you will board the return train to Ollantaytambo station where you will board a car to transfer you back to Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco
Day 7 Day at leisure in Cusco
Day at leisure in Cusco for some exploration on your own.
Overnight in Cusco
Day 8 Flight to Lima
In the morning it's time to say goodbye to Cusco, you will be transferred to the airport for your flight to Lima.
End of our program
Optional 1: Transfer to Lima centre for afternoon Lima City tour. On your arrival to Lima our representative can pick you up from the exit gate and you should head straight over to leave your luggage at the airport storage. Then you will be taken to the drop off, pick up point in Miraflores in front of the Marriott Hotel. You have free time for lunch. At 1.45pm you will be met in front of Marriott hotel for your guided Lima city tour (group service or if you prefer it could be private, please consut to our sales representative). After your tour you will be dropped back to Marriott Hotel were you have free time until your evening scheduled transfer returning to the airport for your international flight.
Optional 2: Transfer and evening city tour with dinner: If you have time we have an evening city tour which includes a dinner show at a selected restaurant. We can organise a transfer returning to the airport for your international flight.
IncludedHotels included:Four nights in Cusco, two nights in the Sacred Valley and one night in Aguas CalientesEntrance tickets:All entrance tickets for the places to visit mentioned in the programExcursions:All excursions as mentioned in the programGuide:Official guides during excursionsMachupicchu:Roundtrip bus tickets and entrance tickets to the Machu Picchu SanctuaryMeals:Meals as mentioned in programTrain:Roundtrip Train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes (Vistadome Train with comfort and luxury hotels / Expedition Train Economic and Tourist hotels)
- International flights
- Two Domestic flights Lima/ Cusco/Lima.
- National and international departure airport taxes.
- Tips at airports, hotels and tips for guides, drivers or other personal.
- Travel insurance
Occupancy Economic 3* Comfort 4* Luxury 5* Prices in US$. Double room US $ 1500 US $ 1665 US $ 1855 Single room supplement US $ 375 US $ 520 US $ 1095
* Prices for 2018