- Intro & photos
A not very crowded route to visit, this is a very nice trek with llamas carrying your gear and a demonstration of traditional weaving in Chinchero. This spectacular route leads to Huchuy Qosqo, The hike starts from Patabamba, a small community located near Cusco.
A magnificent scenery for this two-day trek along the path once taken by the Inca from his capital to his country estate; during this trek, we will have the opportunity to walk through some sections of the original Inca trail which nowadays still remain intact. This is certainly one of the most beautiful short treks in the immediate environs of Cusco, crossing the high plateau in the north of the city, showing its lakes and lagoons like Qoricocha (Golden Lake) for example; small villages of llama herders where life continues untouched by the modern world, and finishing at the ruins of Huchuy Qosqo, high above the mountains overlooking the Sacred Valley of the Incas. After visiting this beautuful site, you will end your trek in Chinchero, a small andean village located high up on a windswept plain at 3762 mts (12,342 ft).Here you will have beautiful views of the landscapes surrounding the Sacred Valley of the Incas, with the Vilcabamba cordillera and the snowcapped peak of Salkantay dominating the western horizon. The village mainly comprises mud brick (adobe) houses, and locals still keep alive the tradition of wearing their typical dresses. A demonstration of traditional weaving will be given before we return to Cusco.Number of days:2 days - 1 nightActivity:
Trekking, culture, flora and fauna, archaeologyBest season:April - OctoberTrek grade:Easy-moderateAltitude:from 9842.52 to 11811 feet / from 3000 to 3600 meterReservation code:CHA-HQ2D-PDestinations:Chinchero and Huchuy Qosqo
Early morning pick up at your hotel and transfer to the nearby Patabamba town where our Llameros are waiting. There we will load our gear on the lamas and mules before we begin our first day's hike. Along the way with a Scenic view your cooks will prepare your lunch, restoring your strengths. Continuing on your walk to Huchuy Qosqo your nights camp site (sleeping in tents).
Overnight at a campsite in tents
Meals: lunch and dinner
After a guided visit of Huchuy Qosqo we will continue our hike to the small town of Chinchero. Arriving there around noon, a demonstration of traditional weaving will take place at a local’s home. Lunch will be served here. After lunch you return by private transport to Cusco and dropped back at your hotel
Overnight in Cusco (not included)
Meals: breakfast and lunch
- Pick up at your Hotel and transfer to the trailhead
- Professional bilingual English / Spanish speaking guide
- Entrance Ticket for Huchoy Qosqo
- Private transport from Chinchero to your hotel in Cusco
- Mountain Hardwear tents (3-person tents for every 2 individuals)
- Therm-a-Rest self-inflating mattress
- Cooking equipment, mess tent, dining tent, chairs, tablesf
- Cook preparing all meals
- Meals: : 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner and snacks; food is programmed for trekking and is rich in carbohydrates.
- Boiled water provided at meal times to refill your water bottle
- Pack horses to carry camping and kitchen equipment
- Llama's to carry your personal gear
- Wranglers and Llameros responsible for the pack horses and lama's
- First aid kit, emergency oxygen, radio communications
- Tips for the guide and other staff
- Dinner on day 2
- Sleeping bag (can be hired for USD $ 8) Sleeping bags are Eureka and Hanna Vivak model and rated -10Celsius (13 Fahrenheit).
- Walking poles (Black Diamond or Leki at $ 10.00 for a pair
- Water purifying tablet