- Intro & photos
This spectacular route leads to Huchuy Qosqo, an important archaelogical site located to the north of the city of Cusco, the adventure begins in Patabamba,it is an amazing two-day trek along the path once taken by the Inca from his capital to his country estate, along the way we will be able to find some sections of the original Inca trail remaining still intact. This is certainly one of the most beautiful short trek in the immediate surroundings of Cusco, crossing the high plateau to the north of the city, the route shows beautiful lakes like Qoricocha (Golden Lake) and small villages of lama herders where life continues untouched by the modern world, and finishing at the ruins of Huchuy Qosqo, high above the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
You will end your trek in Chinchero, a small Andean village, located high up on the windswept plains of Anta at 3762mtr (12,342ft) . There are beautiful views overlooking the Sacred Valley of the Incas, with the Cordillera Vilcabamba and the snowcapped peak of Salkantay dominating the western horizon. The village mainly comprises mud brick (adobe) houses, and locals still go about their business in traditional dresses. A demonstration of traditional weaving will be given before we continue our journey to Machupicchu where we will spend the night.
On your last day you will take an early morning bus to the Sanctuary for your private guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel. After your tour you will have free time to explore this magnificent site by yourself.
- Walk through the beautiful high plains of Cusco with spectacular views of the surroundings.
- Have a demonstration of traditional weaving in Chinchero town.
- Take lunch with a local family of Chinchero.
- Explore the amazing citadel of Machupicchu.
- Take an afternoon train to Machupicchu
- Enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Listen to a recount of myths and legends the Incas passed down over the centuries.
TREKNumber of days:3 days - 2 nightsActivity:
Trekking, culture, flora and fauna, archaeologyBest season:April - OctoberTrek grade:EasyAltitude:from 8530 to 11811 feet / from 2600 to 3600 meterReservation code:CHA-HQ3D-PDestinations:Sacred Valley, Huchuy Qosqo and Machupicchu
Day 1 - Cusco - Patabamba - Huchuy Qosqo
Our day starts with an early morning pick up from your hotel and transfer to the small village of Patabamba (3800 meters) where our crew and group of lamas and mules are waiting. We will load the mules up with our gear and start our walk through the high valleys to Pucamarca reaching our first pass at 4200 meters (13,779ft). Along the way we have fantastic views of the surrounding snow capped mountains and we pass some high mountain lakes. During our trek our cook and assistants will prepare a freshly-cooked, strength-restoring lunch. We continue our afternoon hike visiting some Inca ruins and some fine Inca stairs before reaching Huchuy Qosqo where our team will be setting up our tents and preparing our dinner.
Lunch and dinner included
Day 2 Huchuy Qosqo - Chinchero - Machu Picchu
After a guided visit of Huchuy Qosqo we will continue our hike to the small town of Chinchero taking in some breathtaking views and arriving at around noon. Then we will visit a local home for a traditional weaving demonstration where we will also have lunch. After lunch we will head down into the Sacred Valley to Ollantaytambo where we will take the train to Machu Picchu.
An afternoon trains ride of one and a half hours to Machupicchu town (Aguas Calientes) with the Vistadome train. On arrival to Machupicchu there will be a short walk of 5 to 10 minutes to your hotel where you will spend the night.
Overnight in Aguas Calientes in a hostal.
Meals: breakfast and lunch.
Day 3 Machu Picchu - Cusco.
We start our day early, after breakfast, accompanied by our guide we will take the bus up to the citadel of Machu Picchu, right on time to enjoy the magnificent sunrise. Our guide, at your pace, will show you the main areas, recounting myths and legends passed down over the centuries and explaining about some of the advanced building techniques the Incas had. After your tour you will have plenty of time to look around and maybe do some of the other treks which are available in the surrounding mountains. At around 1.30 p.m. it will be time to have lunch in town and later, at a convenient time,, you will board your train for your return to Poroy station and then a transfer back to Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco
- Pick up at your Hotel and transfer to the trailhead.
- Bilingual English / Spanish speaking guide.
- Entrance Tickets for Huchuy Qosqo and Machu Picchu.
- Roundtrip bus tickets Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu Sanctuary / Aguas Calientes
- Private transportation from Chinchero to Sacred Valley train-station.
- Vistadome train Sacred Valley to Machupicchu.
- One overnight in a hostel in Aguas Calientes.
- Expedition train from Machu Picchu to Poroy.
- Transfer from Poroy train station to your hotel in Cusco.
- Mountain Hardwear tents (3-people tents for every 2 individuals)
- Therm-a-Rest self-inflating matress.
- Cooking equipment, mess tent, dining tent, chairs, tables.
- A Cook to prepare all meals.
- Meals: 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner and snacks
- Boiled water provided at meal times to refill your water bottle
- Mules to carry camping and kitchen equipment
- Lamas to carry your personal gear
- Wranglers and Llameros responsible for packing horses and lamas
- First aid kit, emergency oxygen, radio communications
- Tips for the guide and other staff members (Please keep in mind it is customary, but not mandatory)
- Dinner on day 2 and dinner & lunch on day 3 in Aguas Calientes